The Veryan Post History
photos of Veryan post taken on 15/5/02
Article provided by Lawrence Holmes
Nuclear post site with 1942 Decoy Site Bunker in the
Truro Branch member Richard Sirley explaining the use of the
plastic dome cover to the visitors.
- Decoy Site Command Bunker in the background was built in 1942 as a decoy
for Falmouth Docks by Elstree Film Studios.
- The site was run by the Navy and was activated eleven times in WWII and
the site, together with the sister site at Nare Point, were bombed.
- The site was discontinued in 1945 and left derelict until 1974 when the
National Trust covered it with earth as a protection.
- The Veryan nuclear post was built at the side of the decoy bunker in 1963.
- Veryan Post Museum, run by the Truro Branch ROCA, has up to 200 visitors
per year and is about to be listed under the English Heritage protection