On Sunday 30th March 2003, in the presence of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, and The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Squire, the annual service to celebrate the formation of the RAF on 1st April 1918, was held at St Clement Danes Church, the Church of the Royal Air Force. This year is also the 60th Anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Forces Association.
Before the service, branch standard bearers of the RAFA, led by their National Standard, and preceded by the Central Band of the Royal Air Force, marched from Lincolns Inn Fields to the Church.
One of the 60 RAFA standards on parade was that of the Maidstone branch, carried by Robin Green, the branch Chairman, and a former member of No 1 Group ROC. Robin, who has been the branch Standard bearer for 10 years, is seen at the West Door of St Clement Danes with his Standard, and wearing the ROC Medal.
Robin joined the Corps in 1956 at the age of 16, serving on Echo 3 post in No 19 (Manchester) Group. After National Service in the RAF from 1960 to 62, being one of the last 2-year N/S airmen to serve in the RAF, he re-joined the Corps in 1970 as an Observer on Crew 3 in the Ops Room of No 1 Group Maidstone. Robin was awarded the ROC Medal in 1982, and served until Stand-down in 1991, completing his service as Crew Officer in charge of Crew 3.
Robin is a member of the Mid Kent branch of ROCA.